07 Dec What Are Antique Pinch-nose Reading Glasses?
We had a lovely addition to our collectables category this week, in the form of these antique pinch-nose reading glasses. Originally known as ‘Pince-nez’ from the French ‘pincer’, “to pinch” and ‘nez’, “nose”, these style of glasses have been used since the 14th Century, but reached their peak popularity around 1880 to 1900. The pair we have are called ‘C-bridge’, as they have a curved flexible metal brace across the top which moves as the wearer dons the glasses. They also have a small attachment for a chain for the to clip them to clothing (as they were renown for falling off!).
Now in stock on our website.
Description as follows-
ANTIQUE PINCH-NOSE READING GLASSES SPECTACLES, CASED, COLLECTABLE
- Beautiful pair of antique metal rimmed pinch-nose spectacles.
- Generally used for reading, these glasses have original nose pads, lenses and metal frames.
- These do come cased, although this is not pictured.
- No branding visible.
- Measuring approximately 12cm across (including metal detailing), and 4.5cm deep (at widest points).
- CONDITION: General good condition, although scuffing to both lenses at either outer side. Could do with a good clean, but well built – PLEASE SEE PHOTOS FOR CONDITION.
- A beautiful set of antique glasses, full of character and great collectable pieces.
We have a fantastic range of unique antique collectables on our website, we only buy & collect what we love. Every Vintage item you purchase from AVC is a one off item, meaning we will never have that exact same item in stock again, adding to the excitement of the purchase. Also, if you are wanting a little bit of vintage antique inspiration for you home, be sure to check our our ‘AVC Inspiration’ section on our website, where we have hand picked some items that we think would look great in your home. You can communicate with us via our website using Tidio chat, or alternatively whats app up us or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.